Financial Assistance For Birth Mothers in New York
Finances can be an incredibly stressful element to think about while pregnant. Especially when you consider that you and your child will require new clothing, extra nutritional foods, prenatal vitamins, and other various items, depending on your pregnancy. Then, of course, there’s the routine doctor’s visits, plus testing and ultrasounds. All of this adds up to be a hefty financial burden.
For birth mothers who are already struggling, the added financial load can become too much. Thankfully, there are available resources and financial assistance for birth mothers specifically in New York. Some are government funded, while others are run by people wanting to help those who have chosen to become involved in adoption.
Qualified Birth Mother Expenses
Depending on the agency and state many adoption agencies put the financial necessities of the birth mother on the couple or individual planning to adopt. Yet, each case is unique. If the state has specific laws regarding the limit of court-approved birth mother expenses, then that is where different government programs and non-profits come in.
At Adoption Choices of New York, the qualified birth mother expenses that we are able to provide most commonly include:
• Medical & Hospital costs (prenatal visits, ultrasounds, testing, birth)
• Temporary living expenses (maternity clothes, food, utilities, rent)
• Transportation Assistance (bus fare, taxi, etc.)
Be sure to consult with your New York adoption caseworker to see what you are eligible for, as all of our financial assistance is based on need and personal circumstances. Your child’s adoptive parents may be able to cover certain costs as well.
Medical Programs and Assistance for Adoption
Pregnancy is different for every woman. Medical costs can rise if the pregnancy is complicated, requires more testing or the birth mother is put on bed rest. So, it’s important to make sure that you have financial help for any unforeseen medical costs or situations that may arise during your pregnancy or labor and delivery.
Regarding insurance in New York, it is required by law to cover a 48-hour stay after a vaginal birth and 96 hours following a C-section. Basic insurance and government insurance will cover this for birth mothers in New York. This can be utilized so that your child’s adoptive parents can cover extra costs, leaving the insurance to cover the hospital stay.
If you are in need of insurance, be sure to discuss with your adoption caseworker. We may be able to help you apply for basic insurance, such as Medicaid.
Government Funded Financial Assistance
If you’re not wanting to be solely dependent on your child’s adoptive parents, there are government funded programs in New York specifically for birth mothers that can help you.
- WIC: Per the NYS Department of Health, you may be eligible to receive help from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC). This program provides healthy food options, nutrition counseling and breastfeeding support. Those who qualify are also given money from the state to buy food via an Electronic Benefits transfer card known as an eWIC card. You do not need to be a U.S. citizen to participate in the WIC program, but you will need to meet other requirements.
- SNAP: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is another food-related government program that provides nutritional food necessary for a healthy, happy pregnancy. Similar to WIC, eligible candidates are given a card, known as an EBT card, with an allotted monthly balance to buy groceries at participating locations. Food is more important than ever to ensure proper infant growth. So, having healthy food options provided by the government ensures both you and your baby will remain in good health from conception to birth.
- Medicaid: New York Medicaid is a great alternative to expensive insurance. As stated previously, insurance will cover the hospital stay for yourself and the baby. Other costs, such as pitocin and epidurals, can fall upon the adoptive parents as insurance is not required to cover that portion of the hospital experience.
Other resources may include food banks, which can help you get free or reduced-priced food, allowing you to save and budget any funds provided to you through the government, our adoption center in New York or your child’s adoptive parents.
Financial Assistance for Birth Mothers
Adoption Choices of New York understands that thinking about finances and affording everything associated with pregnancy and the adoption process can feel overwhelming. But don’t worry! There are options and resources available to you.
We have you covered. You will never be alone, and your needs will be taken care of to the best of our ability. We want to ensure that both you and your baby have the most positive and empowering adoption journey possible!
Meet the Author: Amanda Rodgers is an experienced, versatile writer, well-versed in blog posts, SEO and keywords. She is also a self-motivated freelance professional with experience in writing a myriad of subjects, such as women’s rights and LGBT issues. In everything she does, she brings her client’s ideas to fruition while not only keeping their individual voice intact, but also adhering to their values and overall mission.
Amanda creates a lasting impression with audiences through creative writing to ensure that her message — and the vision of her clients — is clearly conveyed and felt.