Drug Addicted and Pregnant: Can I Choose Adoption?
If you are drug addicted and pregnant, you may wonder how you can possibly go through with your pregnancy. What will people think? Would someone want to adopt my child? Will I get in trouble?
At Adoption Choices of New York, nobody is here to judge you. We only want to help you see adoption is a choice for you and your baby, should you choose it. We will find an adoptive family for you just as we would do for anyone else. Know that you are not alone. There are other birth mothers like you who have found wonderful, loving adoptive families. These are people who are ready to take on any potential issues that may come with a baby from a drug-addicted birth mother. Adoption is a loving choice in any circumstance.
Will I Get in Trouble for Using Drugs and Choosing Adoption?
- No, you won’t. By explaining your substance use, this helps us match you with an adoptive family who can step up to the potential challenges that come with a baby who may be born with an exposure or addiction to drugs.
Will I be able to find an adoptive family if I use drugs, I’m pregnant, and choosing adoption?
- Yes! For every birth mother, there is an adoptive family to match. There’s plenty of prospective adoptive families waiting for a baby, and the right one will understand the different circumstances that might cause a birth mother to place her baby for adoption.
- Choosing to place your baby for an adoption while struggling with addiction is a brave, commendable choice. Your adoptive family will see you’re doing the right thing for your child.
How does Adoption Choices of New York help if I’m pregnant and addicted to drugs?
- First, you will fill out a Birth Mother Application (BMA) as part of the screening process. On your BMA, you will be able to indicate which substances you have used during your pregnancy. Remember, you will not be in trouble for disclosing this information. This is so we can help you and your baby through your adoption process. Being drug addicted and pregnant does not mean that you don’t deserve a proper adoption process. By being open with us, we are able to find the perfect adoptive family for your baby.
- We will connect you with a personal adoption specialist. This person is a social worker who you’ll communicate with during the adoption process. You’ll be able to speak with them one-on-one about your adoption plan. They can also provide resources to you to help you live a healthier life.
- We will help you see that adoption is still an option for you and your baby. Your baby can grow up happy and healthy with an adoptive family who will love and care for them.
Can I Choose Adoption if I’m addicted to drugs and pregnant?
At Adoption Choices of New York, we are here for you and your baby. We don’t exclude those who are drug addicted and pregnant, and neither will your adoptive family. Adoption is very much an option for you, no matter what! Your child can and will have a bright, happy and healthy future!
Meet the Author: Tara Giuffre has always loved reading and writing and grew up in the worlds of Narnia, Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events. Taking this passion for stories, she received a degree from Rutgers University in Journalism & Media. Besides writing, she likes long walks on the beach, spending time with her family (and her cat, Sansa), and baking the perfect loaf of bread.
She enjoys sharing vital information about adoption and birth mothers choosing adoption to families making important choices for their future family!