Considering Adoption in New York
I am pregnant in NY and considering adoption; Is adoption the right choice for me?
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, you are not alone. About half of all women in the U.S. have an unplanned pregnancy at some point in their lives. Some women decide to give birth and parent, some choose to terminate the pregnancy, and some decide to place their baby for adoption. No matter what you decide to do when faced with an unplanned, unexpected or unwanted pregnancy, it is most important that you are well informed about your options and well supported through your journey. We have the resources expectant women in New York need.
Why do people decide to place their babies for adoption?
Choosing adoption is when you give birth and then choose someone else to parent your child. It’s a permanent, legal agreement where you agree to place your child in the care of another person or family. You are in charge of your choices throughout the adoption process. The decision to place a child for adoption is personal, and you’re the only one who can make it. Everyone has their own unique and valid reasons for choosing adoption. Some of the many different reasons people decide to place a child for adoption in New York might include:
- They’re not ready to be a parent.
- They can’t afford to raise a child.
- They don’t want to be a single parent.
- They want to be the best parent possible to the kids they already have.
- It’s not a good time in their life to raise a child.
- They want to finish school, focus on work, or achieve other goals before parenting a child.
- They’re not in a relationship with someone they want to parent a child with.
- They believe adoption is the best chance for their child to be well-cared for.
- They’re in an abusive relationship or were sexually assaulted.
- They just don’t want to be a parent right now.
What can I think about to help me decide to choose adoption?
Family, relationships, money, school, work, life goals, personal beliefs, and the well-being of your future child – most women think carefully about all of these subjects before choosing adoption. With that in mind, every person’s situation is different, and only you can decide what’s best for your situation. Here are some things you might consider to ask yourself:
- Do I feel comfortable letting someone else parent my child?
- Do I believe my child will be treated well by the adoptive parent(s)?
- Do I feel I can’t care for a child now?
- Would I consider abortion or parenting?
- Is someone pressuring me to choose adoption?
- Am I ready to go through pregnancy and childbirth?
- Am I prepared to cope with the feelings of loss I may have?
- Will I feel okay if I visit my child and their family 2 or 3 times a year, or possibly never see them again?
- Do I have people in my life who will support me through my pregnancy, birth, and adoption process?
There are many considerations and it’s totally normal to have many different feelings and thoughts when making your decision. That’s why it’s important to get factual, non-judgmental information about your pregnancy options by speaking with a professional at Adoption Choices of New York.
How does it feel to place a baby for adoption?
It’s really normal to have a lot of different feelings after placing your child for adoption. Many women who choose adoption are happy knowing that their child is living with a family who loves them and cares for them. They may feel empowered as a birth mother knowing that because of the decision that she made, her child will have a good life.
Some birth mothers find that the sense of loss is deeper than they expected. It’s totally normal to feel grief after the adoption is complete. You might also feel reassured and relieved. There is no right or wrong way to feel. In fact, having different feelings is very common, and all of these feelings might be complicated for a while. Talking it out with an adoption professional or other people who have been through adoption can help!
When do I have to decide about adoption?
You can take the time you need to make the best decision for you. Some people start planning their child’s adoption early in their pregnancy, and others begin later in pregnancy. Some even start the adoption process at the hospital after the baby is born or even once they have taken the baby home.
Your timeline for making an adoption plan depends on you and your needs and situation.
No matter when you decide adoption is the right choice for you, our compassionate staff will be with you every step of the way.
Who can I talk to about adoption?
Talking with your partner, family, a friend, or a counselor can be helpful when you’re making a choice about an unplanned pregnancy. Lots of people lean on others to help them with their decision. It’s good to choose people who you know are supportive of you and won’t be judgmental. Our adoption agency can give you information and help you think through your decision as well.
It’s really important that no one pressures you into making a decision about your pregnancy, no matter what. At the end of the day, only you know what’s right for you. Here are just a few things you will learn quickly about Adoption Choices of New York:
- We share authentic, transparent, unbiased information and resources.
- We listen to you.
- You will be treated with dignity and respect.
- We will not judge you.
- We have fact-based answers to your questions and support you no matter what you choose to do.
- When you make your choice -no matter what it is- we will help connect you with the resources you need.